Apple Motion 5: November 2021 tutorial roundup
Here’s a roundup of what happened in the world of Motion 5 – Apple’s $50 real-time motion graphics application – during November 2021:
Motion 5: A Deep Dive into USDZ and How to Create a 3D Template for Final Cut Pro
Robin Kurz of POST-PROfessionals spends 14 minutes going into detail on how to work with 3D models in Motion 5. Topics he covers:
- What is USDZ?
- Importing USDZ Models
- Creating a Final Cut Template
- Where can I find content?
- Alternatives and Resources
- Apple’s Reality Converter
This video (like all the videos on their channel) is also available in German.
How to Create a Walking Upstairs Animation – Apple Motion 5 Tutorial
In this 70 minute video, Simple Video Making shows how to make an animation loop of characters climbing stairs – inspired by scenes from the ‘Squid Game’ TV show. As well as showing all the stages of building the animation, the 24 frames per second project is available via a link in the video description.
Paper Airplane Animation – Apple Motion Tutorial
Simple Video Making show how to make an animation of a paper plane follow a path of your choice in Motion 5.
- Motion Path behavior
- Keyframing speed
- Snap Alignment to Motion behavior
- Keyframing shape points
- Drawing lines on and off
How To Make MKBHD’s Intro • Apple Motion 5
In this 22 minute tutorial, The Final Cut Bro shows how to make his version of the intro used by YouTuber MKBHD. Topics he covers include
- Distortion filters
- Using a noise generator as an image mask
- Using behaviors to modify parameters
- Using groups as image masks
Make your screenshots 3D using Apple Motion
In this nine minute video, The Final Cut Pro shows how to use Motion 5 make a Final Cut Pro Title that allows you to position screenshot elements in 3D space and animate them on and off the screen.
Apple Motion 5 Crash Course
This 72 minute introduction to Motion 5 from MJW Media Studios shows how to use to make titles and generators for Final Cut Pro and to make animations for use in other video editing software.
- Creating a Final Cut Pro title
- Instantly adding animations using text behaviors
- Creating a social media generator
- Working with keyframes
- Choosing which Motion controls are available to editors in Final Cut
Apple Motion: Landing Snow Tutorial
This 30 minute advanced Apple Motion 5 tutorial from Motion guru Simon Ubsdell shows how you can make snowflakes land on objects or text of your choice. The video description includes a link to the media assets used in the Motion project that he builds.
- Assigning a texture to your text
- Make 2D text seem like 3D
- Make it seem that snow has already settled on text
- Using a replicator to make snowflakes positioned based on an image
- Using a Sequence behavior to animate the snowflakes
- Working with 3D cameras to use parallax to create depth
Making Logos 3D in Apple Motion
Jenn Jager shows how to take a 2D logo and extrude it in Motion 5 so that it can be animated in 3D – without having to build a custom USDZ 3D model.